Download and print the these two questionnaires and take them with you on your next appointment with your eye care provider and/or when you talk by phone with your vision insurance plan administrator.
Insurance-related questions to ask your eye care provider
- Are you an approved provider for my particular vision care insurance plan?
- Are any vision problems I’m experiencing considered a medical condition that should be filed under my medical insurance rather than my vision insurance?
- Do I file the claim with my insurers or will your office?
- Am I limited to only certain types of frames and lenses in order to be covered by insurance?
- Does my insurance plan cover multiple pairs of glasses, such as prescription glasses and prescription sunglasses?
- When should I schedule my next office visit, and how many visits does my insurance cover annually?
- Does insurance cover my needs or my child’s needs for prescription protective eyewear for the sports or activities we engage in?
Questions to ask your vision insurance plan administrator
- What vision care services and products are covered? i.e. comprehensive eye exams, contact lens fittings, prescription lenses, etc.
- How often are vision care services and new glasses allowed? Once a year? Twice a year?
- Is there a deductible and how much is it?
- Am I responsible for a co-pay?
- Am I responsible for filing a claim or does my vision care provider file the claim for me?
- Do I need pre-approval or authorization before I receive vision care? Typically, your eye care provider obtains your eligibility and authorization on your behalf.
- Can I set up a flexible spending account (FSA) to cover my out-of-pocket vision care expenses?